Committee Notice: Richmond Canoe Club policy on buoyancy aids.
You MUST wear a buoyancy aid if any of the following is true:
- The water temperature is below 6°
- The river is on yellow or red boards
- You are a junior
- Any part of your session will be in the dark
- You are in division 7-9 or unranked
- The coach running your session tells you to
- The water temperature is below 10° and have a history of capsizing.
- the river fow: http://riverconditions.environment-agency.gov.uk/
- the river water temperature: https://dl1.findlays.net/show/temp/thames1
Paddler safety in groups
Within reason, every paddler within a group should constantly keep check that everyone is safe. If a paddler capsises they should shout for help so other members of the group can assist them. This is especially important with night-time paddling.
Buying your own buoyancy aid:
- Preferred by racing paddlers: http://www.kudukayak.com/shop/accessories/Mocke-Racer-PFD
- Excellent value, comfortable and used by the club: https://www.decathlon.co.uk/ba-50-n-vest-red-id_8355047.html
- And many other options: https://www.decathlon.co.uk/C-50789-buoyancy-aids
Safety & Port of London authority
All paddlers must abide Port of London authority paddling code. https://www.pla.co.uk/Paddling-Code