2021 Junior Paddle Camps
Paddle Camps at Richmond Canoe Club are five day beginners’ kayak and canoe courses for children from aged 10 – 14.
- Each week we run a set of 2 courses of five sessions each, Monday-Friday
- Each course will consist of five 1.5-hour sessions; course sessions times will vary to coincide with the safest conditions on the Thames (no tidal flows)
- Each course is limited to 20 participants; children will be led by a team of four coaches and four assistants
- Price for a course is £135 per child for five sessions over a week
- Week 1: Mon 19 July – Fri 23 July
- Week 2: Mon 26 July – Fri 30 July
- Week 3: Mon 2 Aug – Fri 6 Aug
- Week 4: Mon 9 Aug – Fri 13 Aug
- Week 5: Mon 16 Aug – Fri 20 Aug
- Week 6: Mon 23 Aug – Fri 27 Aug
2021 Junior Improver Canoe/ Kayak Courses
Junior Improver Courses are 5-day, Mon-Fri, courses designed as a progression from Paddle Camps. For 2 hours per day, led by two coaches, children will learn more about canoe and kayak technique, on and off the water. These courses are for a maximum of 10 children at a time and they will alternate between canoe and kayak. Improver courses are only suitable for children who have already completed the Paddle Camp.
Kayak – Beginners
Beginners sessions for juniors from ages 11 – 16 are run all year round. Once a child has completed an introductory course he or she can continue paddling at Richmond by joining one of our junior training groups.
Kayak – Development
After completing the introductory course the next step is to become a member of the club and join a junior group. In most cases new juniors will come down to the club once a week on Saturdays. Further down the line there are also sessions available on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Richmond is a racing club and when ready, juniors will be encouraged to take part in local canoeing events with the opportunity of national ones too. These take place on weekends generally Sundays with some Saturdays. If you have any questions please have a chat with the coach personally.
Kayak – Advanced
Many of our established juniors are competitive in the higher levels of the sport including some who race at international level. As well as having the opportunity to be coached by some of the best coaches and paddlers in the country any or all of the senior sessions are open to join in with.
Canoe sessions are on-going so it is possible to start at any time. Sessions are Monday and Tuesday, 6.00pm, Saturday at 12.00 and most Sundays at 10.00. Contact Marcus Gohar 07794 051301 or by email. Richmond has a range of junior canoe paddlers from beginner to international standard.