2020 Junior Paddle Camps
Paddle Camps at Richmond Canoe Club are five day beginners’ kayak and canoe courses for children from aged 10 – 14.
- Each week we run a set of 2 courses of five sessions each, Monday-Friday
- Each course will consist of five 1.5-hour sessions; course sessions times will vary to coincide with the safest conditions on the Thames (no tidal flows)
- Courses will be conducted entirely in single-seat boats, allowing for social distancing within Government and British Canoeing guidelines
- Each course is limited to 16 participants; children will be led by a team of four coaches and four assistants, allowing for 2-to-1 ratio
- Price for a course is £125 per child for five sessions over a week
- Course 1: 9:30 – 11:00, Mon 20 July – Fri 24 July (sold out)
- Course 2: 11:00 – 12:30, Mon 20 July – Fri 24 July (sold out)
- Course 3: 13:30 – 15:00, Mon 27 July – Fri 31 July (sold out)
- Course 4: 15:00 – 16:30, Mon 27 July – Fri 31 July (sold out)
- Course 5: 9:00 – 10:30, Mon 3 Aug – Fri 7 Aug (sold out)
- Course 6: 11:00 – 12:30, Mon 3 Aug – Fri 7 Aug (sold out)
- Course 7: 13:00 – 14:30, Mon 10 Aug – Fri 14 Aug (places available)
- Course 8: 15:00 – 16:30, Mon 10 Aug – Fri 14 Aug (places available)
- Course 9: 9:00 – 10:30, Mon 17 Aug – Fri 21 Aug (places available)
- Course 10: 11:00 – 12:30, Mon 17 Aug – Fri 21 Aug (places available)
- Course 11: 13:00 – 14:30, Mon 24 Aug – Fri 28 Aug (places available)
- Course 12: 15:00 – 16:30, Mon 24 Aug – Fri 28 Aug (places available)
If you are interested for your child to attend a later course, please complete a Registration of Interest form and we will email you the full details.
2020 Junior Improver Canoe/ Kayak Courses
Junior Improver Courses are 5-day, Mon-Fri, courses designed as a progression from Paddle Camps. For 2 hours per day, led by two coaches, children will learn more about canoe and kayak technique, on and off the water. The course is for a maximum of 10 children at a time and they will alternate between canoe and kayak. These courses are only suitable for children who have already completed the Paddle Camp. To see the times and book the course please see the WebCollect page.
Beginners sessions for juniors from ages 11 – 16 are run all year round. Once a child has completed an introductory course he or she can continue paddling at Richmond by joining one of our junior training groups.
After completing the introductory course the next step is to become a member of the club and join a junior group. In most cases new juniors will come down to the club once a week on Saturdays. Further down the line there are also sessions available on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Richmond is a racing club and when ready, juniors will be encouraged to take part in local canoeing events with the opportunity of national ones too. These take place on weekends generally Sundays with some Saturdays. If you have any questions please have a chat with the coach personally.
Many of our established juniors are competitive in the higher levels of the sport including some who race at international level. As well as having the opportunity to be coached by some of the best coaches and paddlers in the country any or all of the senior sessions are open to join in with.
Canoe sessions are on-going so it is possible to start at any time. Sessions are Monday and Tuesday, 6.00pm, Saturday at 12.00 and most Sundays at 10.00. Contact Marcus Gohar 07794 051301 or by email. Richmond has a range of junior canoe paddlers from beginner to international standard.